Queens College presents a number of exciting opportunities to academically accomplished individuals, including the newly created Transfer Honors Program.
Honors at Queens creates a community of learners on campus in which students enjoy classes that are small in size and emphasize discussion and projects over lecture. Honors enhances your education by providing opportunities for faculty mentorship, advanced research or other individualized projects.
Transfer Honors Program
The Queens College Transfer Honors Program offers scholarships and academic support for highly motivated and creative students who wish to complete their bachelor’s degree at a world-class college that challenges them to do their best.
To be eligible to apply, you must be a full-time student with:
1. 45+ credits in a baccalaureate, AA, or AS program (Students in AAS programs are not eligible)
2. 3.3+ GPA
3. Coursework in all of the following areas: composition, humanities, social sciences, math, laboratory and physical sciences.
Students who have already earned a Bachelor’s degree are not eligible. Students who have already begun classes at QC are not eligible.
The Transfer Honors Program offers:
• Scholarship awards at three levels: $1,000, half tuition, full tuition (NY resident tuition rate).
• Academic advisors who specialize in the needs of transfer and honors students
• Early registration priority
• Unique internship and research opportunities with organizations in Queens and NYC (arts and sciences, technology, media, NGOs)
• Preferred acceptance into our beautiful new residence hall, The Summit
• Honors courses reserved for and dedicated to first-semester transfer students
• Assistance in applying for internal scholarships
Transfer Honors Academic Requirement
To maintain your scholarship, you must:
1. Earn a 3.3 GPA
2. Complete 12 credits hours per semester
3. Participate in an approved honors program: Humanities;Math & Natural Sciences; Social Sciences; and BALA (Business and Liberal Arts). Departmental honors are available in: English; Math;Computer Science; Economics; Anthropology. There are also honors sequences for the majors in Communication Sciences and Disorders and Neuroscience.
Other departments are creating honors programs that will be available for 2016.
Applications for SPRING 2016 will be available in September.
Deadline for application: @ Nov 9, 2015.
- Students must apply directly to Queens College through the CUNY Portal. Visit us at www.qc.cuny.edu/checklist to find out all you need to know about applying to Queens College.
- Submit the Transfer Honors Program Supplemental Application and Faculty Recommendation Form Fill-in PDFs can be edited in Adobe Reader or Google Chrome. An editable Word version of the Supplemental Application and Faculty Recommendation Form can be found here. Please submit via email to email@example.com (use file name format: lastname_application; lastname_essay)
- Submit an official transcript from every college or university attended to the address below (this is in addition to the transcripts sent for admission to Queens College)
Director, Transfer Honors Program
Honors Hall Room 2
Flushing NY 11367
Attn: application materials enclosed
4. WRITING SAMPLE: A writing sample is required for students who plan to major in a discipline in the Humanities or Social Sciences or who plan to minor in HSS (Honors in the Social Sciences) or HTH (Honors in the Humanities) or BALA. Students in other disciplines are encouraged but not required to submit a sample. Students may provide an essay, research paper or article written for a class or lab (if a paper is co-authored with a faculty member, students should specify what they contributed). Please submit via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (file name format: lastname_sample)
Queens College offers you a very competitive tuition—we were recently named the #1 public college in the nation for giving students “the best bang for the buck” (Washington Monthly). That tuition is made even more affordable with the help of financial aid (over 60% of our students receive such aid). For the most up-to-date information on financial aid opportunities, visit www.qc.cuny.edu/fao.
For more information contact:
718-997-5519 • Honors Hall, Room 2